With her international background and love for antiquing, we asked our Designer, Sharon Cleland to share her personal collection of curated, vintage finds that are now sold exclusively through J Banks Retail. So without further ado..
I guess for me, the “thrill is in the hunt” for that little ‘objet’ or piece of furniture which calls out to me from amongst the often times dusty array of remnants from the lives of those whose story has been told. I am convinced that this compulsion to retrieve a little fragment of the past has been fueled by my passion to inject character, personality and soul into the interiors which I create. But upon reflection..it is so much more than that…join me on my antiquing journey from the thrift shops of South Belfast to the antique malls of historic Savannah!
Here are a few photos of me on my hunt! This eclectic chair I found on the left is a favorite of mine and the two lamps in the picture on the right have a vintage, worn look to them which I absolutely love!
1. Love the organic quality of this vintage woven basket-so versatile to set on a table or hang as textural artwork. 2. My love for equestrian beauty drew me to this fine leather galloping steed whose sculptural form will grace a bookcase or console table. 3. The aged character and copper patina of this antique ballon jar will look fabulous on an entry console with or without leafy branches. 4. Adorable little lidded pot looks great in a kitchen and might even use it as a sea salt cellar. 5. This turquoise Iranian pottery bowl will make a perfect accent to place on a stack of books on a cocktail table or a bedside table for that little pop of color.
6. The scale of this bowl makes it a basin! Filled with textural mossy balls, it will be the perfect centerpiece on a dining table. 7. This dinky little box is darling! It’s petite scale is a perfect piece de resistance on a stack of boos on a chair side table. 8. Never one to pass by a dome – this is awesome! Amazing grouped with varying height cloches..on a table or bookcase. 9. Perfect vintage accessory for kitchen vignette – useful too! 10. Fabulous pop of color in this basket will make it perfect to hang on a hook in a mudroom or you can repurpose it to display rolled up wash cloths in a guest bath.
11. This glazed vintage jar works perfectly beside any kitchen stove as a wonderful utensil receptacle. 12. This antique copper escargot pan has an awesome patina and is worthy to belong to any passionate cooks ‘batterie de cuisine’ and large enough to use as a centerpiece or tray. 13. I love the texture and color of tortoise shells and like to incorporate them in vignettes either hanging or placed on a table top display. 14. Sometimes the simplistic beauty of a little vintage woven basket is all that is called for to complete a desktop display and makes a great pencil pot. 15. I love the organic form of this vintage horn which looks wonderful on a cocktail table vignette.
1. Vintage baskets used for organic quality in a minimal interior. 2. See the little vintage pot sitting perfectly alongside it’s contemporary counterparts! 3. Ballon jar and lidded pot are perfect additions to our Fall display.
4. 5. & 6. Unique and sculptural – tortoise shell, Vintage bowl and horse take any vignette to the ‘next level.’ The tortoise shell looks fabulous on a wall as well.
Stay tuned for the next blog series on Sharon’s new finds!