Old Marsh Golf Club in Palm Beach Gardens is often called a “purist club,” created for those who share a true passion for golf. The historic traditions of the sport are cherished and protected. Staying true to the Scottish heritage of golf was foremost in our design intent when fully renovating the interiors at Old Marsh Golf Club.
As a part of the renovation, we enhanced the bar areas in the clubhouse and reconfigured the original dining space to create more casual dining options. The addition of an outdoor terrace gave the members more opportunities and areas to socialize, gather, and linger. J. Banks Design Group worked with project architect Leo A. Daly to ensure that the architecture and the interiors were resonant.
The catchphrase of the development is “Where traditions are preserved and memories are made,” a heartfelt sentiment we kept top of mind as we conceptualized and executed our design work. Old Marsh Golf Club’s history dates back to 1987, and it is a storied one that includes Laurie Auchterlonie, honorary professional to the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews in Scotland, who was appointed the first and only captain of Old Marsh.
His father won the British Open Championship in 1893, his uncle won the U.S. Open in 1902, and he, himself, was a recognized international authority on handcrafted wooden clubs. The Auchterlonie family’s personal collection of antique clubs dating back to the mid-1700s is on display in the Old Marsh Clubhouse. Laurie Auchterlonie’s respect for the game’s heritage remains a guiding principle at Old Marsh.
In April 1998, Old Marsh obtained the status of Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary through an education and certification program of Audubon International. The program helps golf courses protect the environment, while preserving the natural heritage of golf. Members truly appreciate being part of an eco-conscious course, and embrace the beautiful, natural setting that serves as a daily backdrop. Today, Old Marsh continues to hold this prestigious designation.